About Me

My photo
Life is tough. Nuns are tougher.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Day of Rest

Since it's Sunday, a good day to mull things over, I thought I'd clear up a few lingering questions from our question box.

I was quoted by this questioner:

"But we have a higher calling. We constantly have to concern ourselves with the state of your soul..."

hmmmmm. I believe this to be true for myself as well...but I'm not a nun. What do you make of that?


hmmmmmm. I think I must be doing a pretty good job for you to be thinking that way. Congratulations to us both! I have mentioned that the next rung of punishment in Purgatory, the one after clergy and religious, is reserved for parents, and that is indeed because of their calling. Perhaps you'll pass me some water when Our Lady comes around with a bucket.

Sister, another nice post. I've heard that Luther died a good Catholic and received Last Rites, Confession, and reconciled himself to the Church on his death bed. Is this just a Catholic urban legend?

Pace,
La Bibliotecaria Laura


It doesn't even say that on Wikipedia! Certainly an urban myth. Luther was asked on his deathbed if he still believed his own made up teachings, and his last words could have been misconstrued that he was renouncing his heresy. But no such luck. In answer to, "Do you still believe all this stuff you made up?", he did say something like, "Yes, I do, God help me," which makes him sound a little sorry. But that not what he meant at all. He went down swinging, so to speak. I read that on Wikipedia.

I would say that I've never heard of a Catholic urban legend. But...that would be like saying I never heard of St. Christopher....


The teachings of the Magisterium support your gut preference to speak of "praying to" the saints. And they do so with no hedging or apology.


Yes, they do. But they are still talking about praying to the saint for their intercession. Good for them for not apologizing. I don't apologize, either. But I do have to explain. A lot.

It seems that praying is something that we - the living - do in the here and now, separated from God. But when you are a saint and in the full presence of God, why do you still need to pray? Isn't there a word that implies a more direct method of communicating with the Maker that is available only to those who see Him "face-to-face?"

BTW, you are kicking rear-end in the Blogger’s Choice Awards.


There must be such a word. The Germans certainly must have thought of one. They think up words for everything. (Like schottenfreud, when you take pleasure in the misfortunes of others. Thank goodness there is a word for that now.) We certainly speak of being in harmony with God.

We also speak of praying as 'speaking' to God. Surely, at one with God in heaven, we'll still be on speaking terms with Him. We won't even have to come up with fancy German words for psychological concepts anymore.

And thanks to everyone for their kind words and votes. Sister St. Aloysius has not been able to focus since for the past day or so we've gone back and forth from 4th place, to 5th and up to SECOND PLACE! We never imagined we'd get off of page 17, let alone up to second place. I'm not sure what we might be having for dinner tonight, she's so distracted. Ketchup soup or something, no doubt. She's sewed her fingers together a few times now, I think. I know the voting ends any second. Oh! the suspense!

4 comments:

Faithful Catholic said...

SISTER,

AS I WRITE THIS, YOU ARE IN FIRST PLACE!!!

I CHECKED AND YOU WERE IN THIRD WITH THE ANGLICAN'S IN FIRST AND CAFETERIA IN SECOND. I STEPPED AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER MOMENTARILY, RETURNED AND HIT "REFRESH" AND LO AND BEHOLD, YOU'RE NUMBER ONE!

I HOPE YOU SEE THIS RIGHT AWAY AND GET TO SEE YOURSELF IN FIRST JUST IN CASE SOMEONE PULLS AHEAD AGAIN.

I REALLY WISH I COULD VOTE TWICE!

Faithful Catholic said...

Okay, I can't take it. You're now in fourth place with 391 votes.

This will drive me crazy if I keep looking so, I'll stop. I'm praying.

Sorry for yelling earlier. I sometimes get too excited.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sister,

Did you know that your blog made it to the top 3 of the best religion blog of 2007? You got my vote - I really enjoy your humor and your insight! Thank you and bless you....

Kasia said...

Sister:

"Schadenfreude" is the correct spelling. :-)