About Me

My photo
Life is tough. Nuns are tougher.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick or Treat


Want some candy? You can't have any. Not because we're selfish and want to keep all our wonderful homemade candy to ourselves. You can't have any because it's all stuck to us. Expect typos. My fingers are stuck to the keyboard.

We have some homemade candy corn, some gummy worms, some made from scratch marshmallow ghosts and some chocolate blobs. I'm not sure what happened there.

We can pretend that the marshmallow ghosts are saints if we want to, since we believe that dead people who are in heaven are saints, and even though ghosts are dead people who hang around here, we can pretend they are just visiting to collect our prayers to take back to heaven. Then we'll eat them.

Isn't that the whole idea of Halloween anyhow? Not our original idea, certainly, but the idea these days in general is some fun make believe dress up time. Not to mention some creativity and ingenuity. I'm looking forward to hearing from readers as to who dressed up as what.

This year I'm going as a nun.



Just kidding. This year I'm going as Marilyn Monroe. No I'm not. Perhaps it would be clever of me to slap on some giant eyelashes and try to pass myself off as Mary Tyler Moore playing a nun in "A Change of Habit".

I'll probably just throw on my pointy hat, as most people are half way to thinking 'witch' when they see me in the first place.


I could throw on a cape of some sort and be Batnun. Not a big stretch there, either. Maybe I'll just get some slick shades and ask people if they know they are really living in the Matrix.

The kitchen did not blow up, by the way. I'm so grateful about that, since it is my job to clean the stove and I'd rather clean the stove of the sticky mess it is right now than be saddled with sweeping up stove parts and bits of Sister St. Aloysius, the candy martyr.

Now I can only pray that we get enough trick or treaters to unload this stuff, because I love my teeth and would like to have them for some time yet.

16 comments:

Helga said...

I was a ladybug nun today!

Anna B. said...

Sister Mary Martha,

Happy Halloween...

Jen said...

My favorite among our trick-or-treaters was a little boy dressed (very well) as Indiana Jones. Instead of a candy bag, he had a leather satchel slung over one shoulder; in the satchel was a tape recorder playing the theme song from the movies. What a hoot!

Anonymous said...

No nuns, but lots of bats, Spiderman, unicorns and even Goldilocks and the Three Bears!

Heather said...

I could throw on a cape of some sort and be Batnun.

What would your utility belt look like?

Sister Mary Martha said...

It would have a giant wooden rosary and a ring with a lot of keys on it...the kind that is retractable.

In short...I already have a utility belt. I just need the cape.

Candlestring said...

"Maybe I'll just get some slick shades and ask people if they know they are really living in the Matrix."

HAHAHAHA! This just struck me in the best way. I think I'll still be giggling about it tomorrow...

Wendy said...

If I ever have another kid, I'm putting them all in footsie pajamas and having them go as the 7 sleepers of Ephesus!

Anonymous said...

A two-year-old little someone near and dear to me went as herself, a stinker, in skunk black-and-white.

I'm playing with words here. She's actually an angel on earth so the disguise was good!

As the saying goes: "God made me special, and Grandma makes it known."

Sarah SSM said...

Who knew when I won second place in a costume contest in college dressed up as a nun that I would actually end up one...

Fortunately I didn't end up some of the other things I dressed up as!

Happy Halloween - well, Happy All Saints Day, since it's Saturday now.

Anonymous said...

Hey sister Mary Martha

My friends Mom went as a nun and had her utility belt loaded as a wooden rosary and a ruler

across the top of her head said
NUN FOR YOU

Anonymous said...

Sister,

My son is having surgery tomorrow on his ear. He may or may not lose his hearing in his right ear. Please pray for him, and please tell me what Saint I may ask for prayers.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Worked the haunted house. First night I was a corpse the second night I was a clown. I did a liquid latex 'wound' that looked so real my dad told me I needed stitches.

emeraldwednesday said...

Happy Halloween, Sister! Enjoy your leftover candy; it sounds wonderful. Even the chocolate blobs. :-)

Leigh said...

Sister...

I cannot sleep and I have the most random, totally unimportant question. My daughter is obsessed with the book Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans .The story, which takes place in Paris, refers to a nun as Miss Clavel..."In the middle of the night, Miss Clavel turned on the light and said, 'Something is not right'". Why would a nun be referred to as "Miss"? Perhaps there is no basis for this title and he just thought it sounded cuter than say, Sister Aloysius or Sister Mary Fiacre? The fact that I'm thinking about a nun in a children's story at 1am is another matter altogether.

Kitty said...

leigh,

I believe that in some other countries (such as France, where the Madeline books take place), all female teachers are called "Miss" by their students. I taught Mexican girls one summer and they all called me, and the other teachers, including the sisters, "Miss." It does look strange in the book if you don't know this. My husband thought it was disrespectful until he found out why.