About Me

My photo
Life is tough. Nuns are tougher.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Angels Among Us

Today is the celebration of our Guardian Angels and the perfect day to beg a favor.

First, the Guardian Angels. Yes, you have one, and not just while you're a tiny child trying to stick you fingers in the light sockets and drink bleach from under the sink. Your Guardian Angel is with you your whole life through and is there by your side as you pass on to where the woodbine twineth. (A phrase my mother likes to use. She hasn't gone there yet.)

So have some angel food cake!

And now is your chance to be an angel.

Don't get crazy, you can't really be an angel. Angels are not people, or former people. Angels are a type of being that God created. You can't turn into an angel anymore than you could turn into a dog or a dog could turn into a person. You don't go to Heaven and turn into a dog and you don't go to Heaven and turn into an angel.

This idea that so and so died "because God wanted another angel" is just a way to sell posters and greeting cards and sugary figurines. Don't fall for it.

I'm speaking metaphorically, as in "Be an angel and see if the mail came yet."  Only I'm asking you to do something a little more involved.

We've had great success praying together and today I'm going to ask you to set your clock and pray with me and everyone else who visits our cyber convent.  I have a friend who is facing down some pretty nasty cancer treatments and a scary prognosis. So I'm asking you to pray for his recovery because the world still needs him. Please feel free to add in people for which our prayers could help that are facing their own miserable diagnoses and treatments and suffering.

We settled some of the hash in the  Mid East, didn't we? Sure we did.

So let's get together with our prayers tomorrow at 5pm central time (6pm east coast, 3pm west coast) and bow our heads and ask for God's grace and healing power for Fred (and eveyone's Freds).

Meanwhile we'll thank Fred's actual angel and our own.

10 comments:

Donna. W said...

This has nothing to do with this entry. I just want to say I LOVE the new pope. If anything ever made me want to be Catholic, he does.

Ren said...

Prayers for Fred at 5:00 is marked on my refrigerator.

Meg said...

I've made a prayer appointment for 3 p.m. today...

pamibe said...

I set my alarm for 6:00p.

Re what Donna said: My husband, the atheist, is saying that Pope Francis makes him want to be Catholic.

That's a miracle.

Wendy said...

Praying at 6, here on the East Coast.

Nily said...

Tomorrow, 6:00 p.m. (eastern) - Fri., 10/4. Check.

Nily said...

Oops, cancel that last comment - I see that your blog was posted on Wed. Soooo, today at 6:00 p.m. (eastern. Check.

Anonymous said...

Why are prayers important?

Katney said...

I'm late for a very important date. Since I have been traveling I didn't see this till Friday. As I know from experience supporting my husband in his cancer journey, he can continue to benefit from the prayers after Thursday as well, so they are added now.

Meg said...

So, sister - how is Fred doing?